Pensive with Premises

Bookish

Have you heard of a writer who writes premises just for fun? 

If not here you'll get to see one: Adrika. (*showers confetti and chocolate tomatoes and eggs*)

My knack for writing premise grew more serious after reading some articles in Masterclass and Write Practice websites. Check these articles out! (not sponsored)

So, today I'll share with you some of my "just-for-fun" premises. I'm not yet a master in this. But I've tried some. I may use these premises later to structure novel or short stories. But that is something I'll think about later, they are for now only premises

So ladies and gentlemen, INHALE, EXHALE & BEHOLD.

1. Genre: Science Fiction and Fantasy

Divided by planets, united by minds. When the scientists of earth discover life on an unknown planet, a revolutionary discovery lies between the two planets. Will they journey towards victory together or will conflict befriend them?

2. Genre: Adventure Mystery

This is the premise of Enid Blyton's The Island of Adventure. I wrote it for practice.

Four children, Philiph, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and their parrot Kiki are embarked in an adventure, unexpectedly. Instead of enjoying their holidays, the four children are set off in unraveling the secrets of Isle Gloom and return home safely.

3. Genre: Adventure Mystery, Middle Grade.

This is the premise of a novel which I wrote about two years ago. During that time I haven't written a premise. I would now share it in this post. (SPOILER: Some snips of that novel are going to come soon! Tune up)

Four children, one adventure and a terrible secret. Sharon and Nick never wanted to visit India. But when their uncle bought a huge mansion in Delhi, their family decided to travel in India. Down in the dumps, they went to India, to find their annoying cousins. Shavron and Astha, played many tricks to vex them. But when a mystery curled upon their journey and their dear grandma died all of a sudden, the four children must come together to find the culprit, all behind this. 


Now, 

A premise must contain:

⦿ Main character: Like I mentioned in all the above premises.( scientists; Philiph, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Kiki; Sharon, Nick, Astha, Sharvan)

⦿  Protagonist(s) goal: Refer the above premises. (unravelling the mysteries)

⦿ The situation or obstacle: In my first premise the obstacle is conflict between the two groups of scientists. 

Things to ponder while writing a premise:

➣ What can be circumstances of an obstruction?

➣ How my characters will fight against it?

➣ What are the inciting incident and pinch points?

➣ How to build the climax?

This list of questions flows like the ocean! 

You, yourself need to understand the story, then map the structure to write a pitching premise.

The structure of a premise should be strong. As we practise more our quality for writing premises will improve. Guaranteed!

Premises are something which are the key element, it'll be the base of the story. It is also required in effective query letters to agents or publishers. When the premise is properly conceived it expresses the whole story in just a few lines and here we come to see the truth of the saying, "Even the small can be more powerful than the gigantic".

Storytelling isn't that easy. You need to ask questions, get answers. Only theories won't help. Storytelling is a science of  practising, structuring and showing. It needs time to evolve. Whenever I craft my characters into flesh and blood, time slips to craft the world. But I always remind myself, that I still have time to write and carve later. I've my whole life. Breaks are indispensable for creativity. As Lucy Maud Montgomery said,

"The point of good writing is knowing when to stop."

This (.) isn't just for using while writing, but you need it in your life as well. So, mon ami remember, fretting while writing isn't a way of comforting, or flowing the creativity in your veins. Breaks are what you require. (NOTE: I said breaks. I know we'll've flown our wings further, making it procrastination. Training our brain is another tiresome chore! Woofh...) 

I hope in today's post I was able to enrich you with new thoughts, basically sharing my knowledge. I love doing that. 

*breaths in contentment*

Till later

Goodbye and take care,

~Adrika

Comments

  1. A premise is what starts our stories. I did not know that The Invisible Castle has such a mysterious plot. You can message me the significance of the castle. Is that quote really from Lucy Maud Montgomery? Most of Lucy Maud Montgomery's novels do not have much of a plot and the inciting incident is rather late. I will soon write a premise of my stories and novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I love it. Thank you. I will share excerpts of it to you as well as on my blog. That novel was written in a notebook and is my first draft, so I consider it horrible!
      Yes, that quote is from Maud's journals and not from her books. I love that style of Montgomery, it makes it heartwarming. Hopeful you'll share some of your premises with me. Happy Writing:)

      Delete
    2. Yes, there are many improvements that need to be made in your novel. However, I want to read your first draft in the messiest form.

      Your writing style is like Enid Blyton, while my writing style is more like Lucy Maud Montgomery. I will share my lovely writing with you for sure.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I know. But the plot is entertaining. That's true. The more messy it is, the more lovely it becomes!
      So enthralled to read your writings!

      Delete
    4. I am glad you enjoyed the plot and thought it to be entertaining. You seem to love mysterious plots. You should work in screenwriting and films one day. As your dear friend, I don't mind reading your messy stories.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Peas in a Pod

The Strange Case of Blogger Adrika's Disappearance.

Blooming Among Wildflowers