Festivity with Mask



 
Festivity with Mask


“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

~ Charles Dickens, A Tale of two Cities

This line from the classic novel, A Tale of two City is felicitous to describe the 2020 Durga Puja. On one hand, the pomp and glory of Maa Durga's arrival and on the other the catastrophic outbreak of Covid 19. How can the people even retain the colors of this auspicious day? 



This different Puja episode with masks and maintaining social distancing was somewhat unexpected, but at the same point a new experience. I didn't expected to have such a lovely Puja with my parents and brother. We watched movies, had indoor photoshoots, played games, read plenty of books, did wierd food experiments and so much more. 
 
The ten days of puja went in the blink of an eye with heartful fun and amusement. From eating sweets to praying Maa Durga, nothing was missed but done in a cautious way. I had video calls with my intimate friends and relatives, ate my favourite rasagullas, beholded the enigmatic beauty of Maa Durga and welcomed unanticipated visitors. Altogether, this Puja will remain fresh on my memory.

Now, I will share a poetry I wrote during Puja:

A Different Puja

The streets didn’t bustled with footsteps

The sweet shops weren’t jam packed

The pandals looked vacant

And the atmosphere---

 All the people wore masks,

Stared strangely at each other,

And walked maintaining distance.

How queer? They carried sanitizers in pockets!

 Everything changed just in a flick,

People locked themselves, away from the world.

Puja arrived and ebbed noiselessly.

The people celebrated Puja, but… in a different way.

 Festivity waved in the air,

But in a different way.

People ate sweets, prayed Maa Durga, chatted with other flocks,

But with an odd air.

 Amidst all these, the mysterious splendor of Maa Durga

Didn’t failed to bring about charm and love.

An experience climbed in people’s recollection,

One brimmed with cautiousness, masks and sanitizers.






Comments

  1. This was such a beautiful essay about Durga Puja and your poem is vivid and amazing. Durga Puja certainly was different this year, but people learned to love and spread joy without idols, which you expressed in your writing. This article gave me a perspective about Durga Puja in India. I am glad I inspired you to try different types of writing on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you immensely.Yes, itwas totally different. Yes, you are correct this puja provided new perspectives. Your writings are such a comfort. I love the way we support each other. I will experiment different writings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I am so grateful to have you read my writing and praise it. Continue to experiment with different styles until you find a distinct voice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna

Two Peas in a Pod

The Strange Case of Blogger Adrika's Disappearance.